Friday, December 14, 2012

Twas the night of our first feeding



Twas the night of our first feeding and all through the apartment
The kitchen was stirring and baby had not one hint
The high chair was placed at the table with care
With a vinyl plastic cloth placed under there

The rice cereal was ground to a powder as told
Then added some water and breast milk of old
So the milk would give baby a familiar taste
As we begin introducing foods with haste

When from the high chair there arose such a clatter
We had a food fight; all over went the batter
Mommy tried very hard to get me to eat
My not so delicious rice cereal treat

Doctor said start with cereal so Mom did
But it is very bland and boring so she hid
Her thoughts that I would enjoy sweet potatoes better
Before writing the rice cereal rejection letter.

I at least enjoyed the spoon for just a minute
Before the rice cereal was placed in it
I took one big bite and then a little more
Then pushed the spoon away and threw it to the floor

"Now Baby! now, Baby! now, just give it a try!
Try it, you’ll like it- the best rice Mommy can buy.
Take the spoon to the mouth-we are having a ball!
Now just eat one bite; you don’t have to eat it all!

I tried it again and took one more cereal bite
Rice dripped right out of my mouth and I saw the fright
In Mom's eyes at the whole eating solid foods thing
So Mom tried to make it fun and started to sing

And then, in a second, Mom sang three blind mice
Which distracted me just enough to eat some rice.
As Mom drew in her hand, and was turning around,
Down went the rice cereal to the floor with a bound.

I was covered in rice, from my head to my toe,
And I laughed and giggled and Mom wallowed in woe.
A spoon of cereal was flung at her rack,
And I looked like an angel, just smiling right back.

My eyes-how they twinkled! my dimples how merry!
My hands were all sticky and sweeter than sherry!
My little mouth frowned with each attempt to eat
I just wanted my milk from my Mommy’s teat

We’ll try cereal again for four more days
Then introduce a brand new food for me to graze
Soon my palate will appreciate finer food
For now we’ll try to get Mom in a better mood

We will take a warm bath with our rubber ducky,
And we smile in the bath, I am so lucky!
A splash in the tub and shampoo of my head,
No more rice cereal; nothing more to dread.

Mom spoke not a word, but just gave a smile,
And filled all the room with joy for a while.
And pulling my ten toes right up to my nose,
And giving a nod, out of the bath I rose!

Mom thought how she wished I liked my solid food meal,
But was just pleased to be done with this landmark ordeal.
Mom gave me a big kiss and hugged me oh so tight,
"Happy first feeding my baby; have a good night!"

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is so cool and fabulous!

    This is my favorite verse....

    I was covered in rice, from my head to my toe,
    And I laughed and giggled and Mom wallowed in woe.
    A spoon of cereal was flung at her rack,
    And I looked like an angel, just smiling right back.

    ReplyDelete