Monday, April 15, 2013

Mickey Mouse Rocked the House

As seen in New York Family magazine: http://www.newyorkfamily.com/mickey-mouse-disney-live-music-festival-madison-square-garden-elle-belle/

So I just got my Trumpette socks rocked off seeing Disney Live! Mickey’s Music Festival. This is only my first reporting assignment but I think I’ve found my calling—I definitely want to be a music journalist when I grow up. You see, being in NYC you become immune to celebrity sightings, but today I hit the jackpot—I saw Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, and other Disney friends at Madison Square Garden! And I even got a light-up necklace and princess wand. Rock on!

I was transported (literally) to the Theater at MSG where the coolest Disney stars came to shine. I willingly sat still for several minutes at a time to enjoy this musical spectacular (shocking, I know). Mickey himself hosted the show and Minnie, Goofy, and Donald helped break it down. They were joined by some fan favorites from “Aladdin,” “The Little Mermaid,” and “Toy Story,” and the stories magically came to life on stage. It all started with Mickey and friends boogying to “Everybody Dance Now” and the music was so fantastic that I could not keep my bum bum still.

First, we went on a magic carpet ride with Aladdin. Between us, I didn’t quite get the Genie’s over-the-top sense of humor, but laughed along with Mommy anyway. And I was a bit upset that Genie couldn’t get Donald Duck’s name right… He called him Don and Ronald, and was being downright silly. Everyone knows who Donald Duck is! We all tried to tell Genie but he acted like he couldn’t hear us. That blunder aside, he still magically transformed Aladdin from a street rat to a prince before our very eyes. I only wish that I could have been Princess Jasmine and taken that magic carpet ride on stage.

Then we went for an adventure under the sea with Ariel. The mermaids rocked it out to “Single Ladies” in what was a truly memorable performance. From their funky neon hair to their sparkly fins, those aquatic beauties were dressed to swim and had everyone riding the wave! I especially loved seeing that Ariel has as much trouble figuring out what to do with a fork as I do (we’ve both used it as a hair comb), but was troubled by her interactions with that scary sea witch Ursula. However, in true Disney fashion, there was a happy ending. The stage transformed into an ocean and I felt like I was swimming right along with Sebastian, Flounder, some jellyfish, and other fishy friends. Swish swish!

Next, my “Toy Story” friends knocked it out of the park. Woody and Jesse brought along Bullseye, who stole the show if you ask me. I squealed and screamed with delight when he danced around stage; he even jumped rope! I can barely run with two feet, let alone jump rope with four. It was off the charts! Yee-haw! And I must also tell you that they went on a space age adventure with Buzz Lightyear and it involved super-sized asteroid bouncy balls which were even tossed around the
audience.

They saved the best for last because the finale was a medley of all my favorite characters getting everyone up on their feet and dancing. Being a dog lover, though, the show stopper was Goofy’s rendition of “Who Let the Dogs Out?” He had everyone barking! From “Toy Story” friends breaking it down to “Cotton Eyed Joe” to Minnie’s spin on “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun,” this girl (Baby Elle Belle!) had a ton of fun. Mickey Mouse rocked the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment