Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Adventures In Play Dating

As seen in New York Family magazine: http://www.newyorkfamily.com/baby-toddler-play-date-nyc-elle-belle/

From a sandbox rendezvous to playground escapades, this New York baby is ready to play
 
Dream: Who’s ready to play? I gather all of my favorite friends and magically—despite different nap times, meal times, class times, and caregiver schedules—we all rendezvous for a super duper play date. During the date, we all get along beautifully while playing nicely, sharing, respecting each other’s space and toys. My friends are demonstrating sophistication and common courtesies usually only achieved by teenagers! We’re one exceptional and classy crowd.

Reality: It’s impossible to schedule a play date with my friends since we’re all on such different schedules and Mommy simply cannot coordinate to my liking! Who needs a schedule anyway? I’m a flexible baby. I only get a little cranky if I miss a nap or get hungry. Really.

Play dates really do rock. Babies enjoy having friends play next to them (we don’t want to play together quite yet), providing endless entertainment. Occasionally, we even vent to one another about our mommies. (Yes, Mommy, we hear you vent about us, too. We know you hate teething and we do, too!)

Earlier this week, my friend, we’ll call him Mickey, and I spotted each other from across the sandbox and waved hello and smiled. Then we played with our soccer ball, got balloon animals, traded snacks, ran in circles under the playground equipment, climbed up the ladders like the big kids (Mommy only helped a little), spun the car wheels, and climbed the statues. I’m tired just recounting it. We were so proud of our athletic playground achievements. I only had to refuel with some water a couple of times. I cannot wait until I can have Gatorade and then I won’t ever have to slow down.

Usually, I love seeing my friends in Free to be Under Three class. As soon I arrive, I make sure to greet everyone with a proper squeal. We’re even learning to say each other’s names out loud and communicate important messages such as saying bye-bye when we leave (or at least when we’re trying to tell Mommy that we are ready to go). But in class the day after my playground play date, I was so embarrassed because Mickey stopped in the middle of the group during circle time and knocked me a kiss. Everyone saw and started giving us a round of applause! I was so embarrassed. And for the record: I did not kiss back. That just makes things complicated. Or so I hear.

The next day, I was on yet another play date in the park with three friends. Some of my besties. I arrived fashionably late after a restful nap and settled into the action. We were in a fenced-in area playing and half listening to our mommies tell us the usual be gentle, please share, don’t poke in the eye, and hitting hurts when…score! My friend makes the awesome discovery of a toddler-sized gap in the fence and is soon chasing after a doggie. I ran to follow her close behind. Soon enough, our mommies ushered us back to the enclosed area. They always step in just when the fun begins! We soon forgot about the doggie and began bouncing balls but everyone wanted the same green one that I did. Not one of us wanted any of the ten other balls. Isn’t it funny we all took a liking to the same one? Coincidence? Nah. I think I’m a trend setter.

Speaking of good friends, Mommy had her friends visit from the Lone Star State and let them bring their kids, too. Their state motto is “friendship”—go figure! All I know is that all three boys who came to visit were all so tall and they truly made themselves at home. Really, they took over my apartment. They climbed on my furniture, played with my toys, and roughhoused with my puppy. It was stunning. I hung tough and won back my favorite toys and even shared more than you would expect. Forget don’t mess with Texas, don’t mess with New York babies!

But I’ve learned in my 15 months on this earth, no matter where you’re from, friends and play dates are essential for any tiny toddler. And we all try to behave our best. Note to parents: There is a steep learning curve for socialization and communication when you’re barely over one year old. I continuously work on my social skills and etiquette. I read Miss Manners and listen attentively to the segments on “Sesame Street.” But at times, my primal instincts kick in, like when I want to go on the swings and don’t care to give the other kid at the park a turn. Even if he is my “friend.”

No comments:

Post a Comment