Monday, January 7, 2013

How Baby Elle Belle Spent Her Very First New Year’s Eve

As seen in New York Family magazine: http://www.newyorkfamily.com/how-baby-elle-belle-spent-her-very-first-new-years-eve/

In our family, here’s what the typical dream sequence looks like: It’s my very first New Year’s Eve and a balmy 70 degrees in New York City. Mommy decides to break all the rules and keep me up until midnight. At 11pm we effortlessly hail a cab to Times Square, flying through the traffic-free city streets. We arrive at the square and gasp at the boisterous crowds, but a nice policeman who has a soft spot for babies pushes us to the very front. I rub noses with Ryan Seacrest, countdown with everyone while watching the magical crystal ball drop, and ring in 2013 in style. Happy New Year, everyone!

And here’s the reality: It’s only 3pm but Mommy says it’s time to go celebrate New Year’s Eve. I don’t really understand why this night is so special, but I’m excited to hit the town. Mommy says it’s the last day of 2012—the most special year since I was born in it. And we’re getting dressed to the nines tonight. I am not even one yet so I’m not so sure how I can dress like nine, but I’m rolling with it.

Like a living doll, I wear my winter white dress with balls of snow scattered down the skirt and pretty tights with gold embellished Mary Janes. If I do say so myself, I look like quite the snow princess. As a finishing touch, Mommy puts on my purple fur coat (faux of course!) since it’s a mind-numbing 30 degrees. Here I go! Ready to be the belle of the ball.

I start giggling because I see Daddy take out the Baby Bjorn. Not exactly a limousine, but I’ll make it a stylish ride anyway. Naturally, everyone smiles and says how gorgeous I am as we walk up the street. My eyes glimmer back as I charm them with my flashy four-tooth smile. Let the party begin!

We enter the restaurant and there are balloons everywhere, covering the entire ceiling with strings hanging almost low enough for me to reach. I work very hard to grab them and get so excited that I pee my pants. Please don’t tell anyone? All the cool babies pee their pants anyhow. Feeling lighter and brighter, I’m able to grab myself a bright balloon. Score!

The balloon and I are now inseparable. Next, we arrive at the table and get seated. I take the most special throne perched at the top of the table called the high chair (for her royal highness of course), and I play with my balloon like it’s 1999. I bounce it around, eat the string, and even cuddle with it. Soon, I’m given a special drink with an extra cool flex straw. Mommy already gave me my sippy cup, so now I am double fisting—yea! I drink like a fish but try to pace myself for the long night ahead.

As I look around I notice the other kids wearing hats and tiaras. I reach out to grab the hat off the kiddo next to me. Score! But he starts crying (what a crybaby) and Mommy takes it away from me. So I start crying, too. Before I know it, a grown-up wearing a light up hat (it looks ridiculous on her) gives me two hats to wear. Now this party is getting started.

After digging into a Daddy-sized bowl of pasta, I notice two other big girls dancing and twirling up a storm, so I bounce along with them and everyone starts dancing and smiling like it’s their job. I wish I could dance and twirl like that. That will be one of my New Year’s resolutions!

Pondering my resolutions, I didn’t even see my favorite boyfriend walk in. There he is, looking super handsome in his shirt and bowtie. He waves hello and I smile bashfully in return. Our mommies start chatting and he tries to sneak me a kiss but Daddy sees. Oh goodness. How embarrassing! He had his mouth open so big. Or did he just want some of my pasta? To take away from the attention I start bouncing my balloon and throwing pasta noodles with abandon. This usually does the trick. Everyone looks at me and luckily, they laugh and say what a fun, happy baby I am.

Just as everyone is enjoying my Oscar-worthy performance, another grown-up in a silly hat announces that it’s time to count down to the New Year. I’m just a baby, but even I can tell it’s nowhere close to midnight. I go along with it since everyone else is counting along, but he has it all wrong…the crowd is counting backwards! I don’t even have time to correct them all because suddenly confetti flies everywhere, everyone cheers, and kisses are passed around like pacifiers. Through the confetti, I see Mommy and Daddy kiss, too. Gross! I start to gag but they come at me for a smooch, one on each cheek, and it tickles so I giggle.

Before I know it we’re heading out the door. I wave goodbye to all my new friends better than Miss America on a parade float. Daddy pimps my ride by tying the balloon to the Baby Bjorn and we’re home faster than the ball drops.

What a night of excitement like never before,
With dancing, balloons, and so much more!
And to tell you the truth, I can already tell,
2013 is the year of Baby Elle Belle!


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment