Thursday, May 9, 2013

Maybe For Mother’s Day

As seen in New York Family magazine: http://www.newyorkfamily.com/mothers-day-blog-baby-elle-belle-nyc/

Mommy will do anything–within reason–for Baby Elle Belle. Will Elle reciprocate for Mother’s Day?

 Dream: One of the most important days of the year, Mother’s Day, is coming up and I’m on a mission to get Mommy the perfect gift! Puppy and I hop on my Hummer Power Wheels and start zooming down the sidewalk. Suddenly, everyone is darting out of our way. I pull into Paru’s, our favorite neighborhood nail salon, and order a mani-pedi for Mommy and me (she wouldn’t want to go without me!). The store clerk asks how I intend to pay and I flash my Black AmEx. She smiles her big smile at me and takes the card to ring me up. She’s impressed by my super status. I just know she is. I’m a big deal—what can I say? But since Mommy makes every single day about me, Mother’s Day is going to be about Mommy.

Reality: My baby friend reminds me that Mother’s Day is coming up. He said that he and his daddy made a special trip to all sorts of mommy-friendly stores to get jewelry, flowers, and chocolates. Uh oh! Daddy and I haven’t done anything of the sort. But after some further baby talk and confirming with Siri, Mother’s Day seems like just another Hallmark holiday. Isn’t every day Mother’s Day? Mommy is so lucky to have a terrific tiny toddler! And as a bonus, she gets to educate, stimulate, care for, feed, clothe, and entertain me along with whatever else I happen to want from her at a moment’s notice. It’s her job. Well, at least it is legally for the next eighteen years. Or so I heard Daddy say.

In preparation for Sunday’s special occasion, Mommy and I already went to a Mother’s Day celebration. It seemed like an appropriate way to toast moms. There was a kiddie concert, open gym time, pizza and grilled cheese for lunch, CleanBeeBaby stroller cleanings, and a photographer there to take mommy and baby pictures. What more could Mommy want? We danced, played, ate, and then even got a balloon on our way home. That was one of the best parts. Every baby loves balloons!

After thinking about it a bit more, I realize that Mommy didn’t seem super excited about the balloon. But she is super excited when I’m happy. And Mommy always makes me happy. She greets me in the morning with a bright smile, takes me to the best classes and play dates, cleans up my stinky diapers without complaining (pee-yew!), cooks me fabulous homemade meals, and goes along with whatever I want, plus lots of other stuff that has come to be expected. I guess I should show her how much I appreciate all that she does for me? I do value her diverse skill set. It’s just everything she does for me has become a regular part of our routine. Could I stop to say “thank you” more often? Yes. So instead of saying no maybe I’ll try a new word, yes. Maybe. Maybe for Mother’s Day.

I mean, I make Mommy happy, too. When we sing “If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands…” Mommy always claps her hands! If that’s not a clear sign, what is? Plus, Mommy gives the best belly button raspberries and she knows I love them. I giggle uncontrollably. She knows when I want to be flipped upside-down and I reward her with big smiles. More importantly, Mommy always knows how to turn my frown upside-down, no matter how dire the circumstances (like when we thought I lost my most special little teddy).

Of course I know that Mommy would do anything for me. Really. She told me so (well, at least within reason). What more could I possibly want? Mommy loves me unconditionally. And I love you, Mommy, to the moon and back! So even though I give you lots of hugs and kisses and love, perhaps I could go above and beyond one day each year. After all, it’s called Mother’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment