Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Guess Who Turned One?

As Seen in New York Family Magazine: http://www.newyorkfamily.com/guess-who-turned-one/

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,

Happy first birthday dear Elle Belle,
Happy birthday to you!


What I dreamed for my birthday: Today is no ordinary day. I wake up and Mommy and Daddy are right there beside my crib, singing “Happy Birthday” to me. I am immediately showered with lots of big hugs and kisses and then sandwiched in one big squeeze. Mommy makes some sick joke about reenacting my birth but then does a one-eighty, getting all sentimental on me and telling me how I am the best thing that ever happened to her and she cannot believe that her little cupcake is one year old already.

Wow. I cannot believe that I am one year old. It has been the most amazing year. I will have to save my reflections and newfound wisdom for another column, but let’s just say that I came into this world as a newbie and now I am full of sage advice. Today’s bit of wisdom: every day should be your birthday.

After songs and hugs, the magic continued with Mommy reading me a new book, “Where Is Baby’s Birthday Cake?” It is my favorite type–the lift-the-flap kind–and this one was extra-special because it was shiny and sparkly. Then Daddy made me something new for breakfast called an omelet. It’s the most fantastic take on eggs ever. And I got a side of turkey bacon. Now I totally get the T-shirts I see people wearing that say, “Everything tastes better with bacon.”

With my tummy full of yummy, I went down for my morning nap. When I woke up, it was like a page out of a story book, but even better. The entire ceiling above my crib was filled with pink and purple balloons. I was so happy that I produced these high-pitched squeals I didn’t even know I was capable of making. I hardly noticed my whole family was there: Mommy, Daddy, grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles, cousins, and my best friend, my puppy!

After getting smothered in wet, grown-up kisses, Mommy dressed me in an extraordinary pink birthday dress that my auntie gave me complete with a tutu, matching socks, and my signature hair bow. Then, we got bundled up and headed to one of my favorite places–Kidville!

In true baby celebrity style, there was a whole crew there to greet us upon arrival. I am not sure who leaked it was my birthday, but there were paparazzi cameras flashing from every angle. I tried not to let it phase me. Not that I had time to: when we got off the elevator, the whole third floor was reserved just for me! And guess what? There were more balloons! Plus, a birthday banner, special treats, and all my BFFs. We played in the welcome room and got to make animal masks and then went into the gym—my favorite part.

The gym is a mecca for us little ones. There are oodles of fun things from bouncy balls to trampolines. I did my thing–climbing in tunnels, playing under the giant parachute, and dominating bubble time, of course! At one point, I wanted to swing some more in one of the swings but my friend wouldn’t get out. I cried, “It’s my party and I’ll swing if I want to!” as loud as I could. Still, no swing shift change! But after I started kicking my feet and slamming my hands, his Mommy got the hint and let the birthday girl back in. Sometimes my subtleties are not lost on adults.

Then, it was lunchtime and I assumed my throne at the head of the table. Mommy pimped my high chair with a ginormous cupcake balloon. Rock on! She also tried to bedazzle me with a special birthday hat and a super-size “First Birthday” bib but the hat looked silly and I do not need a bib, so I did my best to pull them off.

The show stealer was the cupcakes–custom made for everyone with glitter (yes, glitter!) frosting in my favorite shade of pink and topped off with a one-of-a-kind cupcake topper—a photo of yours truly (pictured)! Nice touch, Mommy.

But that was not all. Mommy also made me a giant birthday cupcake to match my balloon. I could not believe it was all for me. But it was. (I knew it because no one went near my cupcake!)
Once the singing ended, I claimed my cupcake by going into it head first and licking off as much frosting as possible. I savored each bite, which was fabulous, by the way. It tasted like bananas on steroids. Phenomenal baking, Mommy! Two enthusiastic thumbs up. This cupcake loves cupcakes!
When we got home, the party continued with a pile of presents. There were so many pretty bags with glitter and princesses and animals–it was off the charts. I figured out quickly how to twirl ribbons, fluff crinkle tissue paper, and pull the presents out of the bags–but the wrapping paper was tricky. I had some practice at Christmas and used my nails to rip through some presents, my teeth to unwrap others, and then my puppy was there to help tear into the rest. Honestly, I think the best presents were the boxes the presents came in. I scaled some and climbed into others: it was like a jungle gym.

What really happened: Today, everything I dreamed for my birthday came true! And I had an epiphany: every day is like a birthday because I am so loved all the time. I am the luckiest baby in the universe. And can you believe it? Mommy said that the best present she ever got was one year ago today and that present is me! Happy Birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment